hostname and domainname

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:10:41PM -0500, Jeffrey Mark Siskind wrote:
> Is it possible to set the hostname and domainname? Will anything break?
> What is the best way to do this? Modifying /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname or
> using the hostname command?

It is possible. The first thing I do after reflashing is type:
hostname ehwaz
echo 'ehwaz' >> /etc/hostname

The hostname command will not change the hostname permanently. That is
why you have to set it with /etc/hostname. I don't usually set my
domain name because I am not always in a network as that domain name. If I
was clever I would get dhcp to do that for me when I did connect to a
network.

> Will anything break if I modify /etc/resolv.conf
> to have a "search <domain>" entry? What is the equivalent of the supersede
> domain-name entry of /etc/dhclient.conf? What is the equivalent of
> /etc/mailname? What is the equivalent of dc_other_hostnames and dc_readhost
> of /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf? What is the equivalent of dns-search in
> in /etc/network/interfaces?

dhcpd (or maybe it is udhcp from busybox) may overwrite your
/etc/resolv.conf. And blow away your search directive. But it won't hurt
anything to put it in.

Erik Hovland
mail: erik at hovland.org
web: http://hovland.org/