emptied calendar

I tried posting on this yesterday, but the message seems to have gone
astray.
I've installed some gpe utilities on top of the factory-installed OS2007
on my N800.

Yesterday, when I pulled my N800 out of my briedcase, I noticed that:
  (1) it was already on
  (2) the calendar program had lost *all* my appointments, although my
  to-do list was intact.

I suspect software problems, either bugs in the software itself, or a
malign interaction between it and its operating environment.  However
caused, an appointment calendar that spontaneously deletes all
appointments without the active participation of the user is useless.

I'm not sure where I got GPE from, but it was from one of the
maemo-compatible repositories sometime between December and January
(inclusive!)  Except for the installation of software from non-Nokia
sites, I've used the thing only as a normal user.  I have an xterm, but I
haven't used it to modify anything on the N800 (yet).

Does anyone have a clue what might have happened to cause this?

Is there something I should avoid doing?

Is it a known bug?

Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening again?

Is it likely to go away with more up-to-date software.  OS2008?  The
hacker edition of the system?

-- hendrik