Nokia N800 as wifi router

If you don't want to recompile for NAT support, is an old fashioned proxy is
good enough?

You should be able to use the package "Privoxy" as a socks5 proxy server to
share the connection. By default it only accepts connections on localhost,
but modifying the config file should be easy enough. In addition to setting
up the DUN from the terminal, you'd have to run the wifi in peer mode or run
your laptop's wifi in AP mode. Then you'd have to fiddle with manually
configuring the IP addresses and gateways, as well as setup your laptop web
browser and other apps to use the proxy server on your N800.

--Paul