Nokia N810 PIM

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 01:32:44PM +0930, Peter Hickey wrote:
> A couple of quick question from someone who has just upgraded from a
> Palm Tx to a N810.

I first went from Palm to Opie and now I am struggling to use either my
N800 or my N810 as my PIM platform. I still carry an iPAQ running Opie
because I have not found anything suitable yet.

> 1. I am hoping someone can point me to a good Personal information
> manager and address book that I could use to get updates from google
> calendar.

Two suggestions, no idea if they will work for you.
1. The browser on the N810 can fake the iPhone user agent string and use
the iPhone version of the google calendar page.

2. Google gears ought to make it possible to take your calendar
off-line.

The other poster's comment about GPE is valid. It is the most usable
calendar app on maemo at the moment. Pimlico [1] also works (but I do not
like the way viewing works on it and no syncing at all).

> 2. Can I install open office or similar Doc reader on my n810.

Not yet. You are better off turning docs into html or plucker and
viewing them either with the browser or fbreader.

> 3. Is there anyway to make a template up that I can either email or
> update a web page from my N810. I am looking and creating
> a template document for listing my jobs completed so they can be passed
> onto Myob for the accounts people.

Do you mean making the template on the N810? You have several editors
available to you on the N810 - Notes (which uses html natively), nano,
vi (in busybox) and more.

> If there is anyone out there who also has a palm background who is now
> using a N810 I would love to chat. Maybe even a Skype call or two.

Fortunately, your N810 can do skype!

1. http://pimlico-project.org
--
Erik Hovland