Getting a N810 abroad

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 02:34:30PM +0100, Yves Kurz wrote:
> As a software developer and long time Linux user I'm would like to get an N810.
> The problem: In my country (Switzerland) it costs about sFr799 (US$
> 720) which is very over priced and way beyond what I intend to give
> for such a device.
> Luckily my employer sends me to the SD-West developer conference next
> month which takes place in Santa Clara, CA.  Now I thought I could buy
> one there.
> What do you think, is this a good idea?

For some of us, it's not just a good idea, it's the only way.  Nokia
doesn't sell any tablets in my country (boo!).

> Are there any major issues to
> expect, except the different keyboard layout?
> Does the US charger also accept the European 230V/50Hz input?

Yes.  Or you can buy a European one (the model is AC-4), it's a standard
new thin Nokia plug.

> Are the GPS maps for Europa installed?

I think not, but you can download those.

> Since I'm only for one week there, where should I go to get one?

Google found me this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14314

Maybe you'll find an answer there.

Online ordering has the problem that most shops want a US credit card
with a US billing address.  This works if you have any friends living
there.

Good luck,
Marius Gedminas
--
It is a mess, pure and simple.  Sucks to be away from Unix, huh?
        -- man perlfaq3