SD class?

James Knott wrote:
> I've notice a few messages about SD card class 4 & 6 etc.  What's the
> highest class that the N800 can benefit from?  For example, will a class
> 6 device perform better than a 4?  Or will the N800 be the limiting factor?

Well, first it is good to know that this SD speed class thing is only
about writing. Reading is usually fast enough and above N800 limits.
Even class 2 card can do 16MB/s when reading with good USB card reader.
In N800 the limit is approx 7MB/s at default 24MHz SD/MMC clock rate.
With high speed (48MHz) mode enabled in kernel it can do approx. 11MB/s.
Both are read speeds, write speed limit is slightly lower. Also the
speed class is about guaranteed _minimum_ speed when writing
continuously. Average or normal speed can be higher. With my class 4
card I've seen higher write speed than 4MB/s.

IMO higher class is not worth extra money unless the difference in price
is small or you plan to write to the card often (like dumping  hundres
of megabytes there regulary).

Frantisek

BTW, more details can be found also in
http://www.sdcard.org/about/memory_card/pls/Simplified_Physical_Layer_Spec.pdf