Package categories are being misused

Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
> Andrew already brought up the too-many-repositories problem, maybe I
> should revitalize the other repository discussion: The
> application-categories-are-useless one.

I can only see this being solved by two things:

1. Insisting on the use of r.m.o and r.m.o/extras repositories, don't use third-party repositories

2. Having a "check in procedure" for updated new (even updated) packages whereby a package is reviewed prior to wider publication (eg. extras-devel would be ideal as a staging area)

Item #1 is a personal choice issue - we should all try to avoid using and publicising third-party repositories, that way they will eventually disappear.

Item #2 is more difficult to organise, but it's apparent that even Nokia can't be trusted to create correctly categorised packages. This means that not even first party applications should be able to bypass the review process.

If a review process isn't favoured or possible, the Application Manager should be modified to ignore any application which is not in a pre-existing (ie. approved) category, although this could become inflexible and undesirable in the long term unless the available approved categories can be updated on-line (but then the approved list may be open to abuse if it's maintained by Nokia...)