Missing OS2008 cmdline apps (was Re: how to install OS2007?)

> > That's bizarre.  What security implications are there in ping that would
> > mean it has to be run only by root?  Forcing people to use root when not
> > necessary is itself a security problem.
>
> I have no idea, but I've come across a few things in the N800 that cause
> me to question someone's decisions.

I do understand that device was intended for "non-geeks"
in mind, whatever it means. But, this sudo puzzle is more
to worry about. I think having user and root is better
than splitted privs for mundane things. The very principles
are changed and a lot of people just cannot find the way
out. Take a look at subjects on this list. Never found on
any mailing list for "normal" os. I see eee was made the
same way. Luckily, customized debian project, eeeos, just
goes the "debian" way, with all regular, obvious functions.
And nobody cares if zillion games/medias/sounds show up;
the problem is if someone wants firewall or to change privs
for underground processes.

                            Zoran