any hope for 770

Luca Ognibene wrote:

> Uhm.. you don't like the media player? use mplayer... you don't like
> the browser? there is microb (based on mozilla and open source) you
> don't like the default mail program? there is modest and/or claws mail
> (open source). And you don't need to reflash whole device to install
> these programs.. btw i have a n800, don't know if these programs work
> on n770.
>
> ciao
> Luca

I have done all that. I use mplayer but it chokes on wmv videos but it
does almost every mpg I throw at it, unlike the default media player. I
used mimino for a while, but it has issues (but very good attempt). 3rd
party software is what makes the Nokia 770 a worth while device. I just
use web mail for my email...I have given up on a real email application...

The problem is that the Nokia 770,800 and 810 are devices that are
heavily dependent upon Nokia for their software. You can't just update
individual packages and some of the 3rd party packages don't have the
ability to really bang on Nokia hardware. It is as if they treat the
device more like a phone and not a computer. The problem is it isn't as
reliable as a phone and crashes like a computer...so, the users need to
be able to update the core software independently of Nokia. This applies
to all N-Series.

I am just too used to Firefox and Thunderbird on my desktop to put up
with random crashes and poor performance on my Nokia. Everyone else can
continue beta testing for Nokia, but I will pass for a while.