Noob Questions

"ext Luca Olivetti" <luca at ventoso.org> writes:

> En/na Kalle Valo ha escrit:
>
>>> Just so I can understand more clearly what you are saying, is the
>>> problem you are talking about the way dnsmasq is used or the fact
>>> that dnsmasq is used at all?
>>
>> I mean the latter (used at all).
>
> Why it was used instead of, say, resolvconf?

To be able to update DNS servers without restarting applications. With
resolvconf you would have to restart the applications, or the
application would need to poll /etc/resolv.conf for changes (which is
ugly and unmaintainable). Glibc resolver does not support updating of
/etc/resolv.conf on the fly.

Unless this hasn't changed since we last looked at this. If it has,
please tell us.

--
Kalle Valo