OS2008 on n800 - Nice Job

Hi,
On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 13:09 -0500, ext Acadia Secure Networks wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I expect that Nokia has filed lots of patents regarding its battery and
> power management intellectual property.

not a single one for what concerns power management (battery charging is
a Nokia legacy component and i'm not well informed about its potential
patents).

We _did_ check to not being infringing any patent, yes, but all the
power management stuff (the one that matters and is hard to achieve) is
open and is available in the kernel sourcecode.

Unfortunately our dear legal department wants to keep dsme and mce
closed, but apart from waiting some time and blanking the screen and
changing the wireless timeout, they don't do anything that is
power-saving related.

I hope the maemo community can leverage what is available from ohm [1]
and the intel less watts [2] websites.

It would be great if some developer in the maemo community (sorry for
the cross posting), somebody who does not have to obtain approval from
the Nokia legal department, could replace the closed components.

I think at that point there would be no more excuses to prevent us (as
OSSO - Nokia) from moving to such open solution.

Many in the past have asked for the source of dsme and we have never
been able to provide it (even if, ironically, it became public by
mistake and lived in the google cache for a while).

Hopefully the community can provide its own answer to this deficiency.

[1] http://ohm.freedesktop.org/wiki/
[2] http://www.lesswatts.org/

--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa at nokia.com>
(Nokia Multimedia - CP - OSSO / Helsinki, Finland)