OS2008 on n800 - Nice Job

Mike,

I expect that Nokia has filed lots of patents regarding its battery and
power management intellectual property.

Software engineers by and large  tend to take the availability of
electrons for granted but those electrons have to come from somewhere in
order to get the software "work" done. When I speak to others about the
Internet Tablet product family I always make a point to mention the
power conserving knowhow that has gone into the design, even before this
last round of improvements. My Windows Mobile handset is not really as
useful as it could be as a PDA because the battery life is so short (~30
minutes) or so when I attempt to use it for email or for accessing the www.

What I really would like to have from Verizon Wireless (or another
mobile service provider)  is a device with the following characteristics:

        *  Function:                EVDO modem with bluetooth for
          tethering to the N800
        *  Battery Capacity: 10-12 hours of continuous use (i.e. where
          the modem is turned on and "dialed in" to the Verizon Wireless
          EVDO network) between recharging.
        *  Form Factor:         fits in a shirt/coat pocket or belt clip
          holster
        *  Weight:                  10 oz  or less (this is the weight
          of the UTStarcom XV6700)

Now that Verizon Wireless has taken the defensive measure of following
Google's lead in agreeing to "open" its mobile network to non-Verizon
Wireless supplied devices that "meet spec", I could foresee a company
developing such a product. Such a product could be a good way for Nokia,
for example,  to get a share of the mobile device market from the CDMA
based mobile providers in the U.S., (Sprint, Verizon Wireless, and
Alltell) prior to the evolution to  of those service providers to LTE.

I am hopeful that as WIMAX gets deployed in the U.S. in the 2.4 ghz band
and, perhaps, eventually in the 700 mhz band, it will be more device
friendly in terms of battery power consumption than EVDO and HSDPA.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks, LLC

* *