USB keyboard on n800?

On 11/6/07, drfredc at drfredc.com <drfredc at drfredc.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if your typical USB keyboard will work in the n800,
> assuming you get the connector to convert from regular to small USB
> port?   Any thoughts on keyboard drivers?

Yes, it will, and it works better (in some ways) than the 770.  You will
need to flash a kernel that supports USB host as well as loading the
appropriate USB kernel modules; loading the modules is something you'll want
to automate by putting it in a script that's executed every time the n800
boots.  There are no drivers besides the kernel modules for USB HID devices
(keyboard) or mass storage (external USB memory/adapters) needed.  This is
not a trivial hack to set up, but once you understand what's going on it
works quite well.  Using a female USB A->female USB A adapter you can plug a
USB keyboard directly into the n800 using the cable supplied with the n800
and have it work, just as you can for certain USB storage devices and
adapters (i.e. a CF or SD USB adapter).  The device just needs to consume a
very small amount of current (less than 100 mA, if this means anything to
you).  This is a step up from the 770 which required external power hacks
for everything used.  Let me know if you're interested in learning more or
if this sounds like too much trouble.

Regards,
Larry