3 months of use: some comments about the N800

I am not sure this is the best place to post this information. But
hopefully somebody at Nokia will be listening.

After almost 3 months of use I have to say the N800 is the best PDA I
have ever owned. I just came back from a 10 days trip where it became
my main computer, and I am very happy with it.

These are some comments that perhaps could be addressed to make the
next generation of the N800 an even better product.

** Mute button. When the alarms kick in it takes several seconds to
    start be able to silence it (or when you remove the
    headphones). Sometimes that is embarrassing, like when you are in
    a meeting.

** Separate the <+> <fullscreen> <-> buttons a little

** Make the screen of a harder material (perhaps  glass like the iphone). I have light
   scratches on it already.

** Thumb keyboard. I am not exactly how to reproduce it, but sometimes it inserts repeated
   copies of sections of the text.

** PDF reader. Allow me to open more than one document at the same time.

** Web browser: it needs cut-and-paste

** Nokia's Image browser "Images". It is a pain to zoom-in and scroll
    the image. I was trying to view a subway map with it and it was a
    total pain. When one changes to fullscreen the image gets resized
    automatically. In my opinion the image browser should behave more
    like the web browser, allowing to pan around the image with the
    stylus.

** Soft-power off mode. I have enabled it with a long press of the on-button.
   Unfortunately it does not disable the keys. It would be nice if it
   did, except for a long-press of the on-botton again.

** File manager.

*** When I move files from one directory to another I'd like the file manager
    to stay in the source directory, not the destination one. Perhaps an option will
    do.

*** Support for different font sizes.

The following are comments regarding third party applications:

** Mapper: One thing missing is the ability to goto to a designated
  POI. The only current option is to go to the nearest.

** GPE-calendar.

*** It messes appointments when one changes timezone. In my opinion appointments
    should stay at the same time, even if the time zone changes.

*** It needs to update the end-time to be at the very least after the start-time.
    It is cumbersome to have to change  the date twice: once for the
    start time, and once for the end time.

*** It badly needs a search function.

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/