Questions #3: root

Very cool - I'm in as root! Now this is a *real* Linux box!

... although, from another perspective, I find it incredibly uncool that
I've been walking around with a machine with a widely known default root
password, not knowing that I'd enabled remote access to it when I
installed the "ssh" package. I was under the impression that you had to
go through some bizarre and risky gyration to obtain root access to the
machine... not simply ssh to localhost!!!!! Eek?!?

Now, another geeky question. "user" is a lame login name. I'm going to
assume that it is incredibly unwise to rename "user" to something
reasonable, like "thomas" :) ... is it possible to create a new user and
login using that account instead? I see (via redpill mode) that
"adduser" is one of the packages installed.

I also noticed that "/etc/shells" has a long list of shells. It seems
just slightly strange to me that, on a device this resource constrained,
they'd "waste" even that many "bytes" by not truncating this file...
makes me wonder what other potential "optimizations" haven't been done.

I also wonder how the synaptic install package managed to add a line
referencing itself to /etc/sudoers... if the app installer permits
modifications of this sort to be made to /etc/sudoers, doesn't that
suggest someone could simply write an app that added the line below, or
write a malicious app that gave itself root privileges?

What's the default password for "user"? Will changing it affect
anything, since obviously the system auto-starts?

Thomas