Questions #3: root

I changed the root user password to something reasonable.

I noticed that the "user" account is "locked" (!) in /etc/passwd...
should I actually change that?

How can I get a decent shell on this thing, without freaking out
"busybox" or doing something wierd like installing a package that
renames bash to bash-m...

After looking at the various cross-dependencies, it would appear that
doing anything serious requires dumping busybox and replacing it, but
synaptic, etc. insist that everything that makes the box functional is
dependent ont the busybox package... so, what do people do in this case?

Thomas