Updates in red-pill mode

I put my device in "red-pill" mode a while back... a short time later, I
noticed a number of "upgrades" and went ahead and installed them,
without making the connection (until afterwards)... this did produce a
"broken" package warning, revealed not by the Application Manager, but
by the Synaptic application, this was for one of the main system library
updates. I fixed the dependency error by installing "ssh", which the
Application Manager insists has a lot of requirements and conflicts with
"busybox", but which Synaptic says is perfectly fine to install on it's
own. The device functioned just fine while it was in this "broken"
state, and just fine afterwards, so I doubt that doing updates in
"red-pill" mode, alone, is enough to brick the device... I suspect there
must be something else involved.

Note: I'm a Unix/Linux geek from way back, and am using Ubuntu and apt
in my day job, so I'm comfortable messing around with this stuff and
fixing things if they break slightly. I haven't noticed any substantive
difference in the performance or stability of my 770 one way or
another... Opera still crashes fairly consistently (which is about the
only problem I've seen).

I will note, however, and I'm not entirely sure why, that with no
applications running (other than the notice bar stuff at the top), my
system consumes 60 megs of memory... I just got a new 2 gb MMC card, so
I've enabled 64 mb of virtual memory (I had 24 before, on the 64 meg
card, and I regularly ran it to 90% of total memory used). It doesn't
seem reasonable to me that the OS would consume all available memory and
leave nothing for applications, but I don't know if I've "customized"
the thing enough that the memory usage profile is anomalous.

Thomas