GPE 2.8 released

Flashing your operating system will delete all data and programs!  (It's
as if you just unboxed the device, brand new.) So, I'd recommend the Red
Pill method.  To back up your data, you need to back up the hidden
directory /home/user/.gpe/ - I'm not sure if the backup and restore app
now handles this directory properly.

Ryan

liz quinn wrote:
> I was afraid you'd say that! I have never used the command line and
> don't know how to get there. I Have not used red pill mode either. I
> can learn or ... if I do flash the latestt op sys will that do it?
> Does 2.8 look for the files in the same place.
>
> In eIther case how do you get to the command line?
>
> thanks
> On 8/9/07, Graham Cobb <g+770 at cobb.uk.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 09 August 2007 13:39, liz quinn wrote:
>>
>>> I am a use of the GPE Suite and really enjoy it. In trying to install the
>>> 2.7 update (calendar, contacts, timesheet, to-do) from Application Manager
>>> I am getting"unable to update, Conflicting Application packages",  Details
>>> show "Conflict with application packages: libgpevtype0"
>>>
>> There is no need to re-flash!  Unfortunately, if you had a previous version of
>> GPE installed, the Application Manager cannot handle the package renames.
>>
>> The easiest option is to uninstall all the previous GPE packages.  This will
>> not destroy your GPE data.
>>
>> If you have root access then use apt-get to remove the packages.  The complete
>> apt-get command would be (all on one line, of course):
>>
>> apt-get remove gpe-calendar gpe-contacts gpe-icons gpe-timesheet gpe-todo
>> libcontactsdb0 libeventdb0 libgcrypt11 libgnutls11 libgpepimc0 libgpevtype0
>> libgpewidget1 libhandoff0 libmimedir0 libopencdk8 libsoup2 libsqlite0
>> libtododb0 libxsettings-client0
>>
>> If you do not have some of those packages installed, apt-get will complain --
>> just take them out of the command.  Actually, you probably don't have to
>> remove everything -- the key packages to remove before the upgrade are:
>> libeventdb0, libgnutls11, libgpevtype0, libmimedir0 , libsoup2.
>>
>> If you don't have root access, you will have to enable "red pill mode" in the
>> Application Manager in order to see the library packages which have to be
>> removed.
>>
>> Graham

Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com
AbiWord Community Outreach Project: www.cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide