GPE 2.8 released

On Thursday 09 August 2007 15:00, liz quinn wrote:
> I was afraid you'd say that! I have never used the command line and
> don't know how to get there. I Have not used red pill mode either. I
> can learn or ... if I do flash the latestt op sys will that do it?
> Does 2.8 look for the files in the same place.

You can certainly re-flash.  However, that will, of course, destroy all your
data.  The backup utility is supposed to save and restore GPE data but that
feature was broken in some versions of GPE (it is working again in the latest
version).  So, I do not recommend re-flashing.

If you have not used the command line before I suggest your best option is to
use the Application Installer.  See
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/applicationmanagerredpillmode/ for
instructions on how to enable red pill mode.  Once you have red pill mode
enabled, click on the button to show all installed applications -- quite a
long list.  Go through the packages I mentioned below (gpe-calendar,
gpe-contacts, etc.), click on each one and select "uninstall".

I may not have the right order, in which case you may not be able to uninstall
some of them until you have uninstalled some later ones.  It is also possible
that some of these packages are used by other applications as well: when you
get the "Unable to uninstall" dialog box, click on "details" to see which
other packages depend on the one you are trying to uninstall.

Once you have them all uninstalled, you should be able to install GPE.  You
can disable red pill mode (select blue pill mode) once the uninstallation is
complete.

> In eIther case how do you get to the command line?

See http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howto_easily_becomeroot/.  However, be
aware that it is possible, using the command line, to damage your software
configuration so that your tablet won't boot and will need to be re-flashed
(destroying all your data).

Graham

Here is the list of packages to remove, from my earlier email: