Wikipedia on the n800

Mathieu Blondel wrote:
> Elvin Tan wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to get wikipedia on my n800. I got an 8gb SDHC handy too.

I forgot to mention a few details.

- Each dictionary provided by a dictd server has only two files: the
index (not compressed) and the dictionary data (can be compressed using
gzip). That would address your concern about size and number of files.

- You can of course run a dictd server on your linux box and look up
words from your device over your local wifi network.

- The DICT protocol is "plain text oriented" so it won't be possible to
display pictures with that solution. On the other hand, it may be an
advantage thanks to the reduced size if you decide to install the server
on your device.

Mathieu