Issues with package installation and failed dependencies

Juha Kallioinen wrote:
> ext Mike Klein wrote:
>> How is it that a package can be marked "Installable" and yet not
>> install?
>>
>> With new firmware I cannot "cleanly" install unzip, wget...as these have
>> bizarre dependency issues.
>>
>> With wget I get dep failure of "wget-ssl" conflict...yet I have no wget
>> on N800 and from googling this appears to be a deprecated package.
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I'm curious about the problem with wget. I tried to reproduce the
> problem by flashing the new firmware, adding repository.maemo.org to
> the application manager and activating red pill mode. After this, I
> was able to install wget without any problems. I then installed
> osso-xterm to try and test it, and it even seems to work.
>
> The version of wget in the repository is wget-1.10.2-2osso1.
>
> The details of wget say that it conflicts with wget-ssl, but that
> should only matter if you have wget-ssl installed.
>
> Cheers,
> Juha

I can't recall exact steps but I think it was following:

1. Unnecessarily backup to mmc1
2. flash new firmware
3. added back most apps (canola, streamtuner, ...)
4. go redpill and installed gainroot? I think I went rd and usbhost mode
here too
5. Started installing a few 'safe' pkgs like traceroute, etc. Then
noticed the wget issue.

I religiously check dependencies and avoid installing where there are
conflicts I can't resolve thru ui. I've avoided installing things I
don't understand completely (i.e. I don't just grab and install things
cause they're new or shiny).

I believe it would benefit most if addnl basic utils were put on device
(wget, traceroute, unzip)...I believe their profile is small enough that
it wouldn't affect most users. At least put all this basic stuff in a
single pkg. Most users won't need but ALL developers will.

mike