Issues with package installation and failed dependencies

How is it that a package can be marked "Installable" and yet not install?

With new firmware I cannot "cleanly" install unzip, wget...as these have
bizarre dependency issues.

With wget I get dep failure of "wget-ssl" conflict...yet I have no wget
on N800 and from googling this appears to be a deprecated package.

I also tried installing a gstreamer plugins lib (said it was
installable) and it fails silently! Wtf?!? This is linux man. Error msgs
please. There are ZERO dep issues for this pkg and it just fails.

I am in redpill mode as I needed root access for a variety of apps.

I have searched some for these kinds of issues but guess I am using
wrong search terms.

thanks,

mike