Database Need

On Sunday 01 July 2007 06:59:50 Larry Battraw wrote:
> Totally agree.  On the Zaurus you had Java and it made it easier to bring
> over some really great programs like HSQLDB and several others I can't
> recall off-hand.  Some of the better ones were amazing and allowed
> connections to "real" DBs like PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc.  They also allowed
> for form design on the device to create your own Access-like DB
> applications which were wonderful.  Not having some kind of generalized
> method for storing structured data in DBs is really a weak point, and Java
> would fix that quickly due the availability of so many Java DB apps out
> there.
>
> Larry
>
> On 6/29/07, Dr. Nicholas Shaw <Doc at docharley.com> wrote:
> > I have need for a database (similar to MobileDB would be excellent).  I
> > have
> > SQLite3 but am looking for a Hildonized DB, e.g. something I don't have
> > to open a xterm window to use.
> >
> > Any thoughts/ideas? I appreciate any help.  Right now I'm using gnumeric
> > for
> > many of my database needs and while it is adequate, it is a poor
> > replacement
> > for a small DB.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Nick.

I've read the replies and comments and slowly came to realize that part of
what I can offer to help a lot of you is information on how Linux is
different from Windows in relation to how you can think about applications.

Microsoft's mantra during he 80's was that they wanted to bring the power of
the mainframe to everyones desk (and btw they succeeded) As such in windows
if you don't have it installed and contained locally you can't use it.   This
is a design feature and given the history of Windows a working thought.  Most
OS's were designed along these same lines and the idea was that you didn't
transmit data, you transmitted results since bandwidth was in short supply.

Unix/Linux however was created in an environment where what was in short
supply was hardware.  They could create large enough quantities of bandwith
directly between 2 systems (or more) but didn't have the funds for real iron
(mainframes) so they learned to share the work between several "mini"
computers like the pdp11.  Remember that originally X took 2 or more systems
to run a single X server setup (font server, X server and locally window
mananger)

So given that Unix works on the many hands make light work principle I submit,
Don't install a DB and frontend on your handheld.  Install mysql (or
postgresql) on a computer you can access along with a browser and a we
frontend.  If needed the data can be stored on a 3rd box.

I've ssh'd into my laptop from a conference room, launched oocalc, and xvkbd,
and allowed a customer to walk themself through a presentation they had
missed earlier in the meeting while another topic was on the table.  The data
for the slide show was mounted to my laptop via sshfs from my home.

Seriously something like http://tinyurl.com/29smqj might well be what you are
needing.  Not to mention how much fun it can be to realize that you now have
nearly infinite storage.

In Army terms ..... Don't put all of your privates in one platoon.  *grin*

James Sparenberg