Role of maemo i.e. in Re: Fwd: Skype on N800

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:02:41AM +0300, Quim Gil wrote:
> In the meantime Tableteer (Nokia official site for end users) has a
> feedback channel while http://www.womworld.com/nseries/category/n800/
> (unofficial but sponsored by Nokia Nseries, I'm sure they read the
> comments) is precisely about devices & end user software hype and
> coolnessn no matter if it's open or closed as far as it's cool. And
> let's not forget the Nokia support channels, that (have no doubt) report
> to the management lines any relevant feedback and complaints.

Other than the tableteer site, i didn't know about these resources.  I echo Hans' sentiment that I'd prefer not to have to pick amongst a dozen different sources for my information, but these look interesting and I might subscribe to one (e-mail, rss, whatever) as an additional source.  The community here on maemo-users really works for me, however, so I will likely stick here for most of my maemo/Internet Tablet related information.

Whatever the outcome of this discussion, it might be worthwhile to put together an FAQ with some of these resources that goes out Monthly or bi-monthly, or whatever.  Something along the lines of the kind of FAQs that get posted to USENET newsgroups.

As for commercial software infiltrating the list:  I don't care much, as long as the announcements don't amount to spam filling up my inbox.  I think I've said this for actively-developed projects: I don't mind seeing the initial announcements and announcements for major releases of a given project.  I will likely prefer the open source software, but will look at whatever is available for my beloved little tablet.

For example:  Poor Skype just couldn't get their software ready, however, and I went with Gizmo.  I likely would have anyway, as the open source model appeals to me and I see no real difference between the two, other than user base.  The gizmo client works wonderfully well thus far, with only the answer bug on the free callin number.  I bought a local number, and that works great, ringing my 770 and mobile phone simultaneously.

Kevin

--
In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com