Some Data Backed Commentary in the midst of this week's Blather about the Iphone

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:23:39PM -0400, Acadia Secure Networks wrote:
> I would be interested to know how long ATT is going to have
> exclusivity on the Iphone. If it is more than say 6 months, then
> that will give iphone competitors time to sell/design/build
> competing solutions to the other mobile service providers, which
> they, are probably already doing.

It makes me sad that the Nokia 3300 never took off or was very promoted by Nokia/the mobile carriers.  I got mine on eBay for about $35 + shipping because I needed a new phone with a keyboard on it, my previous one having died suddenly.  I was impressed at how well the music player did mp3s and FM radio, and how the headset worked with it, answering an incoming call and stopping the music you are listening to all in one button press, with the phone in a pocket.  Much like how the "bump" on the iPhone headset/earphones works.  Plus, there's a Gig of memory which is not bad for early 2005.

And, I just drop the mp3s onto it via the filesystem, rather than requiring iTunes or something similar.  But maybe that's what people want.  I suppose a rhapsody-based model might be around the corner.

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com