Reading the manual (was RE: Instant on Loading)

On 5/8/07, Theodore Tso <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
> Yup, my n800 didn't come with a printed manual either, and I found the
> .PDF manual to be horribly optimized for screen reading.  The fonts
> are too small such that you can't really read it until you blow it up,
> and then you have to cosntantly panning the viewer around to read the
> entire screen.
>
> It would have been really nice if the manual came in HTML format, so
> that the browser could rejustify the text based on the zoom level.
> Basically, I found the .PDF to be pretty much unusable unless I copied
> it over to my laptop and read it on a 1600x1200 display, or if printed
> it out and then read it in dead-tree format.

Agreed! Even if they kept it a PDF and got rid of the *huge* margins,
it would be vastly easier to use.

However, the current manual is made much less painful to read by using
evince since you can at least change pages while zoomed in ...
something made exceedingly annoying by the built in pdf viewer.

With the latest release of evince (
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/evince ... kindly polished and
packaged up by etrunko http://etrunko.blogspot.com/ ) it has nearly
reached the point where it is a superior drop in replacement for the
built-in PDF viewer (maybe even the image viewer also as it handles
images too) and Nokia should consider using this in their future
firmware, IMHO.

/Mike