Nokia N800 or N770 and very bad eyesight.

> This thread just made me realize, the N800/770 could be ideal devices
> for stereoscopic viewing.

Same opinion here, but with a different approach than the one you propose,
which requires dangerous efforts to eyes and mind. The 770 and n800, with
their high screen resolution, can "easily" be used as *amazing*
stereoscopic photo and video displays. Sure, not many movies are made in
3D, but I think it's a matter of time. And besides videos and photos,
there are many other applications that could benefit from depth perception.

I advanced a suggestion to GP2X staff some time ago, and I've already done
a bit of experimentation on the 770 on this subject. My "prototype"
results are very encouraging. What we need is a sort of "screen cover"
perfectly fitting the 770 display with its dimensions, so to avoid every
shift on the display.

This "kind-of-screen-cover" has to be a lenticular (you know, those you
can find with potato chips, used to bring 2D animations, zoom or 3D
effects). The 770 should be used in "portrait mode" (and the lenticular
must of course have the vertical stripes parallel to the symmetry axis of
our body), because the LCD is built with r, g, b elements oriented in such
a way that, using it in landscape mode, would result in color artifacts.

The 3D content should be rendered with the "interlace" mode, that is odd
lines for one eye and even lines for the other one: the lenticular bends
the rays so that one eye can see just odd lines, and the other can see
just even ones. This brings a glasses-free true-colour nice-resolution
deep image. For moving images (videos) the perceived effect is even more
impressive.

Because of the fact that the lenticular requires high quality and
pixel-perfect construction, it's obviuous we can't build them with our
knife ;)  Only big companies can afford buying thousands of pieces to
lenticular manufacturers, giving their own specifications.

Apart from this "little" problem, if someone could provide and sell these
lenticulars, Nokia or 3rd parties, they sure would be rather cheap (it's
just a little transparent plastic rectangle, after all), no more than
10$ (and I think I'm exagerating), but they could really add a new
dimension to the device (he he :)

Of course this approach requires just one person viewing at the screen,
and a specific distance of the tablet from the eyes, which are pretty
simple requirements to follow for a portable device user (the lenticular
can be done in such a way that the distance is reasonable).

Oh, a quick hack to "experiment" without a lenticular, which I have done:
print black vertical lines on a transparent paper, put a transparent
plastic rectangle on the tablet display, and put the printed paper on it.
IT REQUIRES A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR EXPERIMENTATION to find the correct
size and distances for the lines to print, so I really can't suggest doing
this, but when you get it and try to view a well done 3D picture
"remapped" with the interlace method described above, you can't avoid
obtaining a lot of "WOW" from everyone staring at it.

--
Antonio