confused about scratchbox UIDs

I am confused about scratchbox and UIDS. I am logged in as user armdevel
on Ubuntu and I have added user armdevel to scratchbox. I
run /scratchbox/login and I am in scratchbox. However, when I do this:

[sbox-SDK_ARMEL: ~] > whoami
whoami: cannot find username for UID 1003

It says there is no UID 1003. Sure enough cd to /etc and there is no
user armdevel in passwd. Plus any files created show UID 1003 and group
1002.

Is this the reason I get the error I reported before:

dh_shlibdeps
unable to get login information for username "armdevel"
at /scratchbox/devkits/debian/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 58.
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 6400

When building mplayer since even whoami cannot find a username for UID
1003?

tj