N800 wifi power usage

On Tuesday 03 Apr 2007 07:05, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> ext Michael Wetherell wrote:
> >> I use wifi nearly 7x24 without issue.  I also use the Internet a
> >> good deal during the day and night, again, without issue.
> >
> > Thanks, it could be I should return this machine and get another
> > then.
>
> Have you flashed the latest N800 release and does the problem appear
> with that too?

Yes I'm using RX-34_2007SE_3.2007.10-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin.

> I would assume that your wifi access point could also affect this.
> Does the same issue happen if you use some other (model) of wifi
> access point?

Yes I see the same problem with a different type of AP.

> (For example some of the access points behave badly which causes the
> device to use more battery than with a properly behaving access
> point.)

Yes I saw the previous thread about that, though in that case the
problem was that the battery was running flat when the N800 was idle,
whereas this problem seems to be that working the wifi hard for more
than a few minutes draws too much power or causes overheating.

> > Do you use it for the sorts of things I mentioned? Here general use
> > is fine. Things like email and using the web do not cause a
> > problem, nor even streaming audio which works the wifi continuously
> > but only at a rate of a few packets a second.
> >
> > OTOH, streaming 300kbit/s mpeg4 video with 48bkit/s mp3 audio
> > causes the media player to freeze after 10 mins or so and then the
> > m/c reboots.
> >
> > Or fetching a 1.5 Gig file with:
> > $ wget -O /dev/null http://local-server/gigs
> > That ran for nearly 18 mins, at around 700kbytes/s, after which the
> > wifi went dead, the m/c was warm though it didn't crash.
>
> Do you have a memory card inserted and if yes, does taking that out
> affect anything?

I just tried that, but the problem was the same. The tests above don't
actually use the flash drives.

Can you try the wget test above? Connect in using ssh and then do:

$ wget -O /dev/null http://local-server/gigs

for a large file. It copies the file to /dev/null, so it's not using the
flash, and the screen and audio can also be off, so it's testing mainly
the wifi. Here it copied 750 megs in a little under 18 minutes before
the wifi went dead, overheated I think, probably not good for the unit.

Thanks,
Mike