[ANN] Simple Launcher -- Home applet to launch your apps

Hi,

ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 03:21:12PM +0300, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
>> Yesterday I made the first public release of simple-launcher.  It's a
>> home applet that shows icons of often used applications: you click and
>> the application starts :)
>
> Have you checked it for memory leaks?  There are three maemo_af_desktop
> processes on my tablet (or maybe three threads?), and each of them is
> reported to occupy 39 megs of memory (RSS).  That seems a bit much (the
> next largest process, FBReader, eats 9 megs).  The tablet's uptime is 1
> day and 16 hours.
>
> Or it could be omweather.  Those are the only two applets I've enabled.

At least I've noticed omweather easily to consume all memory in the
device within a day.  People should stop using it until it's fixed,
the device can currently be reboot if it runs out of memory[1].

[1] In the just released version window manager and desktop are just
restarted if Glib aborts them due to memory allocation failing.
However,  there being no free memory for D-BUS allocations[2] would
mean that almost everything in device stops working properly.

[2] D-BUS doesn't normally abort when alloc fails because that would
    mean all of its clients need to be restart.

> Or it could be maemo_af_desktop itself.  Twice since last reboot I've
> gone back to the home screen to see a white background instead of my
> wallpaper (each time after closing a browser that ate most of the
> remaining memory).  Each time I've reloaded my wallpaper.

Yes, that could be a result of Desktop allocation (done somewhere
else than Glib) failing.

	- Eero