[maemo-users] Usage

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 14:32 -0500, Kevin T. Neely wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, James Sparenberg wrote:
>
> > the community I'd be curious to know if I'm alone in the way I treat my noki.
> > It is to me a palmtop not a PDA.  I use it to increase my mobility and
> > decrease my load, carrying it instead of a laptop.
>
> I'd say I use my 770 for (in no particular order) Web/RSS, Email,
> MP3/Internet Radio the most.  I usually, like now, ssh into my server with
> osso-xterm for e-mail using pine or mutt, as wel as various other tasks.
> The xterm has become way more usable since I got a mini keyboard.
>

> I would most like to see a good contacts and calendar program with decent
> syncing, as many on this list, as I think that is even more important for
> a small laptop replacement.  I have retired my palm because I see no
> reason to carry it and my 770.  If I did that, I might as well carry the
> laptop.
>
> Because I do not see these apps forthcoming, and I am tired of
> maintaining in multiple applications/computers, I have begun the process
> of moving all my info to text files.  I started this with the
> Lifehacker.com todo.txt idea[1] and have been trudging forward ever since.
> I have a good part of my address book in abook, and have begun keeping
> finances in Ledger[2].  I am using 30boxes for calendaring, but combined
> with a couple scripts to facilitate command-line manipulation and
> text-viewing.[3]
>
> Along with the migration, I've begun using subversion for both file
> redundancy nd replication across computers.  I would love a subversion
> client (command line okay) for maemo.  Until then, I'll be setting up
> rsync soon.  Maybe I should have/ should still use unison.  I'm not sure
> though.  Either way, though, it seems to me mixing the two could be
> problematic.  I guess we'll see.

> [1]  http://todotxt.com
> [2]  http://www.newartisans.com/ledger.html
> [3]  http://bulknews.typepad.com/blog/2006/09/30boxespl_how_i.html

Kevin,
	I'm very interested in what you're doing because I use my 770 in
similar ways. I'm curious to know as well why you chose to go the
direction you did rather than contribute to an existing project? Since I
have no programming experience I am locked into whatever is out there. I
try to follow the developments of the software from various points to
try and make educated choices, and I'm astounded at the large number of
people working towards a common goal not working together? Please don't
take this as an insult in any way. I am as frustrated as you are in the
lack of complete apps available.

Best Regards,

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>