brightness Re: [maemo-users] Re: Storage/Sleep Issues..

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 17:22 +0200, ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 12:38:18PM +0000, Igor Stoppa wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 13:08 +0100, ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> > > I meant way to get discharge current from battery circuit to know what
> > > is actual consumption of the device and how big is the influence of
> > > various parts. This is easy to get on laptops and it was possible on
> > > iPAQ but is currently kept very close to Nokia's chest.
> >
> > I think you won't see this information made available anytime soon for a
> > very good reason: there is a significant risk that somebody uses this
> > knowledge to write malicious software that literally blows the device by
> > doing nasty thinigs with the battery and Nokia would be liable if it was
> > releasing such information. This is also behind the clause about reverse
> > engineering.
>
> Why is this not a problem for laptop manufacturers?
I don't know much about laptop, but i assume that there are less dof in
what sw can do, therefore less risk.
Here we are really talking of being able to charge the battery outside
its safety ranges.

Given the right knowlege it is possible cause do phisical damage to the
device and the user.