brightness Re: [maemo-users] Re: Storage/Sleep Issues..

Karl Bellve wrote:
> Igor Stoppa wrote:
>>
>> Power saving is not so important when the _energy_ wasted is so little
>> and for an event which is supposed to happen very seldom (you don't turn
>> off your device, don't you?).
>>

> Every time it crashes! :-)
>
> When using the Nokia at night, while watching TV in a dark room, the
> nokia can be absurdly bright during its reboot process. So bright, I
> have to face the nokia down on the couch while it reboots. So, the
> bright light is over whelming when you have the nokia set to its dimmest
> level because your eyes have adjusted to the dark.

Exactly. That is my second (and maybe bigger) concern. Reboot or crash
at night is not a pleasant thing. While it is supposed to happen very
seldom in reality it is not such rare event. And the backligh really
does not consume significant power? I thought it can be half of power
consumption on such devices. It was like that on ipaq 3870 I had. I
remeber something like 80mA when display off ~130mA minimum brightness
~200mA full brightness, ~300mA full brightness + 100%CPU (not sure about
exact values, it is long time ago, it was available as file in /proc in
Familiar linux). On N770 I cannot check easily since some parts of power
management is ... guess what? There is this myth about hidden power
management ;-)

But anyway is there some real reason while the default cannot be much
lower until device boots to the point where user specified setting is
honored?

Frantisek