[maemo-users] gpesyncd

opensync sounds excellent.  Is the sync two way?  I've been actively
using Google calendar.  On my phones, I sync using goosync which is a
syncml service... Seems like opensync locally on the N800 or 770 could
start to get us somewhere serious if data can also flow back upstream.

On 1/2On 1/22/07, Graham Cobb <g+770 at cobb.uk.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 21 January 2007 12:29, Tim Ashman wrote:
> > I'm struggling with getting my palm addressbook into my n800.  I've
> > exported the palm address book into one file of vcards.  I'm looking for a
> > way to import all of them into GPE, however GPE only seems to support
> > import one at a time, not a good choice when I have over 500 or so.
>
> You are probably best posting this to the GPE mailing list
> gpe-list at linuxtogo.org (see http://linuxtogo.org/mailman/listinfo/gpe-list ).
> You are right that there should be an easy way to do this, particularly for a
> one-time import (for ongoing synchronisation Opensync is the right answer,
> see below).
>
> > 1.  When I install libgpevtype-0.17 gpesyncd will work but then the
> > contacts app will not start anymore.  I then have to uninstall libgpevtype
> > after uninstalling contacts and calendars.
>
> You need to have the correct version of gpesyncd for the version of
> gpe-calendar and gpe-contacts: some major changes happened to the database
> format and also to the library usage.  The versions in SVN are consistent but
> unfortunately, as the necessary packages are spread across two repositories
> it is hard to be sure that they are correctly synchronised.
>
> > 2. With gpesyncd installed I can get the command options to work however
> > I'm at a lost as to how to correctly use them.  I haven't been able to find
> > any documentation.
>
> There is always the code! :-)  If you plan to use it locally (for example,
> from a script), invoke gpesyncd with no command line options.  The useful
> commands are then "uidlist vcard" (which lists the ids of all currently
> loaded cards), "get vcard <id>" and "add vcard BEGIN:VCARD".  Note that in
> the add command the BEGIN:VCARD must follow on the same line and
gpesyncd
> will read more lines until it finds the matching END:VCARD.
>
> gpesyncd will only load one VCARD with each ADD command.  If you have
multiple
> cards to load you need to split them into separate commands (just insert "ad
into separate commands (just insert "ad into separate commands (just insert "ad
> vcard " before each BEGIN:VCARD).  If gpesyncd reports errors loading any of
> your vcards I would be interested to hear -- preferably by entering a report
> in the GPE bugzilla http://bugs.linuxtogo.org/
>
> > So doesn't anyone have a process laid out for importing multiple vcards
> > into the GPE apps.
>
> Actually I would use Opensync.  The GPE plug-in knows how to work with
> gpesyncd.  You can even run Opensync locally on the N800 (actually, I have
> only tested on the 770) if you want.
>
> I mentioned the 770 port of Opensync on the mailing list last week but the
> message was lost in the mailing list problems.  Here is an extract from that
> message:
>
> I have ported Opensync to the 770 (see
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?
thread_id=31244769&forum_id=44498