[maemo-users] gpesyncd

On Sunday 21 January 2007 12:29, Tim Ashman wrote:
> I'm struggling with getting my palm addressbook into my n800.  I've
> exported the palm address book into one file of vcards.  I'm looking for a
> way to import all of them into GPE, however GPE only seems to support
> import one at a time, not a good choice when I have over 500 or so.

You are probably best posting this to the GPE mailing list
gpe-list at linuxtogo.org (see http://linuxtogo.org/mailman/listinfo/gpe-list ).
You are right that there should be an easy way to do this, particularly for a
one-time import (for ongoing synchronisation Opensync is the right answer,
see below).

> 1.  When I install libgpevtype-0.17 gpesyncd will work but then the
> contacts app will not start anymore.  I then have to uninstall libgpevtype
> after uninstalling contacts and calendars.

You need to have the correct version of gpesyncd for the version of
gpe-calendar and gpe-contacts: some major changes happened to the database
format and also to the library usage.  The versions in SVN are consistent but
unfortunately, as the necessary packages are spread across two repositories
it is hard to be sure that they are correctly synchronised.

> 2. With gpesyncd installed I can get the command options to work however
> I'm at a lost as to how to correctly use them.  I haven't been able to find
> any documentation.

There is always the code! :-)  If you plan to use it locally (for example,
from a script), invoke gpesyncd with no command line options.  The useful
commands are then "uidlist vcard" (which lists the ids of all currently
loaded cards), "get vcard <id>" and "add vcard BEGIN:VCARD".  Note that in
the add command the BEGIN:VCARD must follow on the same line and gpesyncd
will read more lines until it finds the matching END:VCARD.

gpesyncd will only load one VCARD with each ADD command.  If you have multiple
cards to load you need to split them into separate commands (just insert "add
vcard " before each BEGIN:VCARD).  If gpesyncd reports errors loading any of
your vcards I would be interested to hear -- preferably by entering a report
in the GPE bugzilla http://bugs.linuxtogo.org/

> So doesn't anyone have a process laid out for importing multiple vcards
> into the GPE apps.

Actually I would use Opensync.  The GPE plug-in knows how to work with
gpesyncd.  You can even run Opensync locally on the N800 (actually, I have
only tested on the 770) if you want.

I mentioned the 770 port of Opensync on the mailing list last week but the
message was lost in the mailing list problems.  Here is an extract from that
message:

I have ported Opensync to the 770 (see
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=31244769&forum_id=44498
for the announcement on the opensync-devel list).  It needs more work
but I have the framework, GPE, file and syncml plugins working (syncml
works with bluetooth but not tested with USB).

I have not (yet) ported the EDS or Google Calendar plugins.  Note that I
was unable to get the python support to build but I will try it again with
the recently announced Python 2.5 when I get a chance.  If anyone else
wants to work either on more plugins or on re-instating the python support
please let me know.

I am currently working on a problem getting a full sync (of my 600 or more
items) between GPE and my Nokia 6230i phone working on the 770.  I can do
smaller syncs but I am concentrating on getting this full-scale sync
working before going back to porting more of opensync.

Graham