[maemo-users] Avoiding loopback local IP address mode in WIFI connections using Internet Tablet OS 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 13:00, Patrik Flykt wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 12:34 +0200, ext Paule Ecimovic wrote:
> > hotspots followed by a message of the form "Connecting to <SSID> using
> > local IP address"  with <SSID> being a given WIFI connection ID, followed
> > in turn by a red question mark covering the WIFI connection icon. Does
> > anyone know
>
> If you end up with link local IP(v4) adresses in the range 169.x.x.x,
> then your device fails to contact the DHCP server. A common cause is to
> mistype ones WEP key. Unfortunately I'm not at all sure this is the
> cause of your problem. What kind of WLAN networks are you connecting to?
> Open/WEP/WPA encrypted? How is the "logging in" supposed to be done in
> the hotspot?

I am also under the impression that the device tends to show access points too
far away, to which it has not enough power to send packets reliably. The
minimum signal strength to be able to use an access point is 2 bars.