[maemo-users] USB Flash Drive

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:35:35AM +0300, Kimmo H?m?l?inen wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 01:34, ext Larry Battraw wrote:
> >   What you're seeing is symptomatic of having switched the 770 to host
> > mode via the "echo host > /sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode"
> > method.  I have never gotten my 770 to work as a host this way, and
> > it's sad that this is actually given as an alternative to using the
> > flasher program because it doesn't seem to work.  At one point I had
> > my 770 set to host mode (via the flasher method) and had modified one
> > of the init scripts to set it back to slave mode via "echo slave >
> > /sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode".  After that "echo host >
> > /sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode" would make it switch back to
> > host mode successfully, allowing it to be done on-the-fly.  Not sure
> > why doing it from the default slave mode doesn't work.
> >   Once you have host mode working you'll see info about your USB drive
> > appear and a device created (Usually /dev/sda1) that you can mount.
>
> After you have done the 'echo host >...', it might work after
> '/etc/init.d/ke-recv stop' and '/etc/init.d/ke-recv start', because
> ke-recv checks the host mode only when it starts (in order to determine
> whether the g_file_storage should be loaded or not when USB cable is
> connected).

I've updated http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_SwitchToHostMode with this
information.

It would be nice if someone confirmed the "might work" part.

(Can I buy a USB hub that provides power to the 770?  I'm not all that
proficient with soldering irons.)

Marius Gedminas
--
31337 is a prime number, go figure...