[maemo-users] should I disable lifeguard-reset?

Hello,

>On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:18 +0200, Armin M. Warda wrote:
>
>> Besides just being able to disable/enable the lifeguard, to me it
>> would even make sense if the N770 would support another setting, in
>> which it only would advice the user that an essential component just
>> failed and a reboot would probably fix the problem.
>
>I just installed a bunch of applications and now the device is
>in reboot cycle. The only desktop applet i installed was
>gnomeweather, so i think it might be responsible for this. As
>a new feature for Karoliina i'd suggest either:
>
>1)
>Dialog that tells user if a essential component has been
>killed and restart it. Gnome panel is a good example - If it
>crashes, it restarts itself. If a panel applet crashes, panel
>prompts user if he/she wishes to restart the applet or remove
>it from panel.

In Gnome panel applets are in separate processes.
In our case the applets run in the same process as the panel itself,
so if a crash occurs the whole Maemo Desktop crashes -> reboot.
They are together to save memory (RAM).

>2)
>"Safe mode". If the device reboots two times spontaniously it
>could do some sanity checks and for example disable all extra
>desktop applets.

A bit like this kind of safety mechanism for applets will come to
sardine.

Best Wishes
Karoliina