[maemo-users] should I disable lifeguard-reset?

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:18 +0200, Armin M. Warda wrote:

> Besides just being able to disable/enable the lifeguard, to me it
> would even make sense if the N770 would support another setting,
> in which it only would advice the user that an essential component
> just failed and a reboot would probably fix the problem.

I just installed a bunch of applications and now the device is
in reboot cycle. The only desktop applet i installed was gnomeweather,
so i think it might be responsible for this. As a new feature for
Karoliina i'd suggest either:

1)
Dialog that tells user if a essential component has been
killed and restart it. Gnome panel is a good example -
If it crashes, it restarts itself. If a panel applet
crashes, panel prompts user if he/she wishes to restart
the applet or remove it from panel.

2)
"Safe mode". If the device reboots two times spontaniously
it could do some sanity checks and for example disable all
extra desktop applets.

Normal user would now take the device to service but i'll
try disabling the lifeguard reset..

--
-- Ville Ranki                     oh3gbq
   ville.ranki at iki.fi              040-757 2533