[maemo-users] RE: [maemo-developers] Future features for Maemo Desktop (TaskNavigator, Home, Status bar)?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Karoliina.T.Salminen at nokia.com wrote:
> Please think it also out of context of the current hardware, you can
> suggest also ideas that would be nice on the platform despite they
> aren't really realistic with the current 770 hardware. Any cool ideas
> are warmly welcome.

Well, if you're going to go that broad...

I think there are a few 'little' things that could be put into the
hardware to make it more interesting. (okay, as I kept typing this e-mail
got to more than that...)

- Light sensor.  I really miss having the backlight controlled by the
available light like on my Powerbook.

- Accelerometer.  I'm not sure exactly what this would be used for, but I
think it has interesing applications.  Perhaps use with GPS to over time
get more exact coordinates?  Maybe take "gesture" based browsing to the
next level?

- Recharge over USB.  I realize this is more a "Motorola Thing" rather
than a "Nokia Thing."  But, for those who travel, reducing the number of
power supplies needed is a wonderful gift.

- Full MMC slot.  I don't know about the space, and I don't really want
the device to be bigger, but MMC cards are much easier to find (have
several at home already)

- Better handwriting recognition.  It's usable, but could be much better.
It would also be really cool if it was open source.

- Voice support.  Things like read my IMs or speak a webpage would be nice
while doing other things.  I'm not aware of any device that has this well
integrated and that 'just works.'  But, people have talked about it for
years and years, I still want it.

- Xara.  The Xara folks have a really, really, fast renderer without using
hardware support.  I think it would be really cool to have a version of
Xara that would work on the 770.  I think they're a company that is trying
to figure out where to go with the MS graphics announcement.  I don't
think they'd port it to the 770 without encouragement from Nokia.  I do
think it would be a very nice tool on the 770 though.

- Bonjour.  I've heard (but never tried) that if a bunch of Macs are
sitting around, they can find each other and IM using Bonjour.  The
example relayed to me was at a conference the reporter wasn't close enough
to the speaker to get a good picture.  So, he got on IM and found someone
closer to send him a picture.  It would be very cool to do similar stuff,
and connect to the same Macs, through the 770.

- LEAP support.  I'm not sure if Cisco allows anyone to know about LEAP,
especially in an open platform.  But, it'd be nice to be able to log on to
Cisco wireless.

Okay, I think that's all on my "somewhat reasonable" list.  If you guys
figure out how to fit in "peace in the middle east" too I think you'll
have everything covered ;)

 		--Ted