[maemo-users] RE: [maemo-developers] Future features for Maemo Desktop (TaskNavigator, Home, Status bar)?

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 15:57 -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> - Bonjour.  I've heard (but never tried) that if a bunch of Macs are
> sitting around, they can find each other and IM using Bonjour.  The
> example relayed to me was at a conference the reporter wasn't close enough
> to the speaker to get a good picture.  So, he got on IM and found someone
> closer to send him a picture.  It would be very cool to do similar stuff,
> and connect to the same Macs, through the 770.

I was going to try compiling avahi-daemon for this purpose--it makes
addressing a device in an ad-hoc network with link-local addresses MUCH
easier, among other things.

The IM bits are supported by Gaim 2.0 beta releases.

> - LEAP support.  I'm not sure if Cisco allows anyone to know about LEAP,
> especially in an open platform.  But, it'd be nice to be able to log on to
> Cisco wireless.

This has been long supported by wpa_supplicant (no thanks to Cisco
though). Unfortunately, the Nokia IAP software is closed-source and I
don't know if it's related to wpa_supplicant at all. You might have some
luck with wpa_supplicant but unless the proprietary WLAN driver supports
the latest WE extensions or the prism54 wpa_supplicant driver you're
likely out of luck.

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/

All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if
you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer.
  -- IBM maintenance manual (1925)