[maemo-users] Re: [maemo-developers] Future features for Maemo Desktop (Task Navigator, Home, Status bar)?

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:00:31PM +0000, 3rdshift at comcast.net wrote:
> I can think of a couple of badly missing features such as:
>
>    An applet that would watch the resources availabitily and warn a user if
>    launching yet another window or application would definitely cause
>    a lockdown (followed by imminent reboot). I have seen enough reports
>    from the end-users complaining that the system is not stable even with
>    IT2006 update. The fact is that the most of them are not aware of the scarce
>    OS resources they hold in their hands. A notification applet to make them
>    aware would help thwart off future negative reviews and general confusion.

Agreed.  The load applet from the application catalog does a pretty good
job at this.  If the memory is full, I try to close some app before
starting a new one.  If the CPU is busy, I know that I should wait,
instead of assuming that I didn't press the screen hard enough and
retrying.  osso-statusbar-cpu is not as good for this, because the
current stat is pretty much invisible -- it focuses more on showing
history.

By the way, in my experience OS2006 deals much better with low memory
situations than OS2005 did.  I don't remember when I got a reboot due to
running out of memory.  Instead, I get random unexplained reboots (the
task navigator bar disappears, the current application resizes and
redraws, then in a second the device reboots.  I think some statusbar
plugin may be at fault.)

>    And lastly, the Task Navigator bar width should be configurable.
>    There is no reason for its fattness as it is - it is just a waste
>    of desktop realstate, IMHO.

Actually, there is a reason -- so that you could hit the icons with your
thumb.  It would be difficult if the bar was slimmer, or the icons
smaller.

>    Also, perhaps a docking station developed by Nokia for future models
>    might be a boon for the end-users.

Yes, please.  A cradle that my 770 does not fall out of, if I press a
hardware key.  With the ability to plug a charger into the cradle so
that I can charge the device without the power cable sticking out
inconveniently downwards and having to bend it and risk damaging it.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more security
than wiping with decimal values."