[maemo-users] Re: [maemo-developers] Future features for Maemo Desktop (Task Navigator, Home, Status bar)?

Karoliina,

I can think of a couple of badly missing features such as:

   An applet that would watch the resources availabitily and warn a user if
   launching yet another window or application would definitely cause
   a lockdown (followed by imminent reboot). I have seen enough reports
   from the end-users complaining that the system is not stable even with
   IT2006 update. The fact is that the most of them are not aware of the scarce
   OS resources they hold in their hands. A notification applet to make them
   aware would help thwart off future negative reviews and general confusion.

   Also, I would love to have a voice recorder developed by Nokia integrated
   for the next desktop update. It seems like the developers try and don't
   have enough information about gstreamer/DSP to come up with robust
   recorder. All hardware elements are there - I guess the general lack of
   knowledge about its internals and gstreamer framework in general have
   prevented from developing such an application so far.

   And lastly, the Task Navigator bar width should be configurable. There is
   no reason for its fattness as it is - it is just a waste of desktop realstate, IMHO.

   Also, perhaps a docking station developed by Nokia for future models
   might be a boon for the end-users.

Thanks for all the tireless good work, responsiveness, and a chance for
community to comment and participate in 770's evolvment process.

-Vlad

From: "Karoliina Salminen" <karoliina at karoliinasalminen.com>