[maemo-users] Re: [maemo-developers] Future features for Maemo Desktop (Task Navigator, Home, Status bar)?

On 8/18/06, Karoliina Salminen <karoliina at karoliinasalminen.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am now collecting some ideas for future development of the UI framework.
>
> If you have any features that you'd like to see in the future in the
> components mentioned on the topic (Task Navigator, Home, Status bar),
> please send your feature requests/ideas to me: karoliina.t.salminen at
> nokia.com or reply them on this list for further discussion. So now is
> your chance to affect to which direction you'd like us to develop the
> desktop UI framework. Also if you have any ideas for plug-in APIs,
> bindings etc. anything you'd wish  to see there in the future, please let
> me know. The sooner the better, so if you have something in your mind now,
> please let me know now (meaning Today if possible).
>
> No matter if you are developer or end user or both, I am waiting for your
> ideas and comments with a great interest - "What do you want?". Thanks in
> advance!

A couple of things that I'd like to see are (possibly not entirely desktop):
- Expansion of the contacts app to support phone numbers etc. for voip apps etc
- Expanded power management. This is more kernel than actual UI but
some of the things that I've seen around for projects like OLPC where
if the sound driver isn't used for a couple of seconds its shut down
etc. Things like the USB port, in the general scheme of things, aren't
used very often so could (not sure if they are all ready) be shut down
most of the time to save battery (saw a blog entry somewhere where
someone played with the shutdown of usb when not in use and saved a
couple of watts).
- More details in the wireless device section.
- Support for speex/ogg/vorbis/theora
- Support for BT Headsets, better support for other BT things such as
keyboards/gpses

Peter