Battery (Was: Re: [maemo-users] New user questions)

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 14:12 -0400, Michael P. Lococo wrote:

> So it does.  I haven't seen a lot of discussion about needing to condition
> Lithium Ion batteries, perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
> You're certainly not going to ruin the battery by running it down three
> times.  The main thing is that lithium ion batteries don't suffer from
> memory like older rechargeables, and regular deep-cycling reduces battery
> life instead of extending it as was the case with battery-types that
> suffer from memory effects.

LiPolys generally don't need any kind of special treatment like
NiCads or NiMhs, but they get to their maximum capacity after
some time of use. You cannot fully discharge a LiPo battery as
there are electronics to prevent the voltage getting below
2.7V to protect the battery from permanent damage.

If you store a empty LiPo battery for a long time it might get
below 2.7V by internal voltage loss so that's why they should be stored
fully charged and in cold. LiPos start losing their capacity
when they get out of the factory even if they are not being
used. Storing in cold slows this process.

Btw if someone doesn't know yet the 770 battery is the same
being used in Nokia 9500.

--
-- Ville Ranki                     oh3gbq
   ville.ranki at iki.fi              040-757 2533