[maemo-users] installing applications from control panel -- no 'extras' folder

"Christine Liu" <liuliuliu at gmail.com> writes:

>> Look for osso-xterm in /var/lib/install/usr/bin.
>
> i found it (just using the web browser for my file system), and it's there!
> however, when i click on it, it just starts the dialog for downloading
> the file.

That's Opera's standard behavior for unknown file types ...

> i saved it to documents folder. and then in file manager,
> went to the documents folder and clicked on 'osso-xterm', and said
> 'unknown filetype'.

and that's the filemanager's behavior for those (yes, it doesn't
know about executables - it is of very limited usage as it is now).

> it's an app/octet-stream 2.3 MB the standard xterm app file

That's fine (mine shows 2,353 kB).

> weird? how can i fix or amend this without a command prompt? (i have a
> chicken + egg problem!)

Indeed.  Looks like you're stuck.  You can't even ssh there since you
need the command prompt to get sshd up.  To me, it looks like it's
time to re-flash.  Maybe someone comes up with a better idea, though.

Cheers,

Heike