[maemo-users] Problems after installing MaemoDict

> I am having always the same problem after installing MaemoDict
> http://www.industree.org/guaka/wiki/MaemoDict
> on a newly flashed Nokia. The thing is that after trying to install it the
> machine says : installation failed . Following no other SW could be
> installed, and also, no SW can be fully uninstalled. The machine giving
> messages like "unable to install", "unable to uninstall", etc . This
> happens always right after installing MaemoDict!!!

Hi,
I'm the author and packager of MaemoDict. Sorry to hear this...

> Another thread showed that a "fast" way of fixing it is to reflash the
> machine.
> Before I was not sure that it is MaemoDict. So I flashed the machine
> twice, tried to reinstall python and MaemoDict.. Now i am sure it isthe Dict
> making this problem!
> I've heard that there is a database of installed application which gets
> corrupted -most probably- in such a case, but I have no idea how to fix it..

Weird. Which version did you try? It's the first time I hear about this.
You could check out /var/lib/install/var/lib/dpkg/* (don't have my N770
close right now) and fix stuff there. That's what I did for other
applications.
Maybe there's something wrong with the way I build packages. I also created
.debs for GNU screen, binutils' ar, and other.
I will upload a new version as soon as possible. Maybe that'll fix it.

> when trying 'dpkg -l':
> dpkg-query: failed to open package info file /var/lib/dpkg/status for
> reading. No such file...
> 'dpkg --audit gives the same error!

Are you sure this is caused by MaemoDict? Of course I installed it on my own
Nokia, without any troubles. Previous and current version.

> Since I am most probably not the only one trying to install MaemoDict, pls
> help, so that other people do not need to reflash their machine just because
> of this trial..

I'd be very happy to hear more... Also about the other packages.

btw, is there any dict for 770?

You can install the dict client for ARM from Debian. I can make you a
package, if you'd still be willing to try :) Well...

http://industree.org/guaka/blog