[maemo-users] Default reply of list

On Mon 2006-04-17 (10:29), Disconnect wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Victor Brilon did have cause to say:
>
> > This war has been fought many times over the years:
> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> >
> > Arguing about it at this stage of the game is equivalent to flame
> > wars about the superiority of emacs vs. vi.

That is not a fair argument, since everyone knows vi was written in emacs ;p
(besides vim > emacs)

> http://starboard.flowtheory.net/blog/?q=node/17 is the other side of
things,
> as applied to the mod_python techincal archival list (vs the original,
which
> seemed more oriented towards a group/social list.)
>
> FWIW I'm all for reply-to mangling when appropriate. (Basically my rule of
> thumb is that if I don't control the clients in use, and I do want the
> discussions to default to public, I mangle reply-to. Alternately, if you
> want to argue with me about reply-to-list and such, I'll need clients for
6
> platforms that can understand and use that header. List available upon
> request.)

I think that while you may be mangling things, the real base case of
discussions on this list is reply to list, and reply to sender is the
outside case. While List-Reply is a noble idea, it makes life easier when
your default case is not to reply to the list.

The Maemo/n770 platform is totally rad, and I just want to make it easier,
not more difficult for public participation. If you are on the user list you
are interested in the various discussions going on, and would like to
probably take part right? if it is too much traffic then subscribe to the
digest. My point is, and i know it has been flame wargghhed many times, i
just don't see the logic in a public-subscriber-posting list that doesnt
default to reply? You want your users to jump through hoops to make a
contribution?

I am glad to have raised this because i have learnt about the "L" reply
button in mutt, but already it is clear that this does not always work,
since i could not hit L to this email. I am thankful to have such a fully
featured mail client that i have such tools, but i am here to make things
better for everyone.

Also, "L" (especially when placed on the forehead) repreasents loser, and do
we really want mutt people thinking "Loser" every time they reply to emails
on the list?

Next I want to discuss top posting and bottom posting (*Jokes*)

Brad Whittington.

--
http://radbrad.rucus.net
# Jabber: D-Arb at jabberafrica.org
# GoogleTalk: radbrad182 at gmail.com
# Sip: 7535 at sip.ict.ru.ac.za
# MSN: radbrad182 at hotmail.com
# ICQ number:74177972
My other computer is a 4000 node beowulf cluster.