[maemo-users] Re: Maemo Bluetooth Plugin

alp wrote:
> Does this plugin support non-HID Bluetooth keyboards? I've been using
> KBDD (http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/kbdd) with my 'smartbt'
> device on the 770, but this is a pain because I end up having to use the
> X terminal to start and stop the keyboard, which is quite impractical on
> the go.

As for using X term there was a quick hack to put it in menu, see
http://n770.herraiz.org/archives/14 and
http://n770.herraiz.org/archives/16
With this solution it is as easy as the bluetooth plugin maybe even
easier and it doesn't take place on status bar.

But it looks like the plugin may have even kitchen sink in future ;-) so
having support for non-HID keyboards is now a valid request. When I
looked at the plugin few months ago it seemed like there is almost no
common code for handling HID an non-HID keyboard except the UI code
(icon, menu) and it would need a rewrite of kbdd to use maemo compatible
bluetooth handling (so it doesn't need root) or spawning it from the
plugin via sudo. Spawning it is doable but so far I thought it is not
worth the effort since the uinput module is not in the kernel anyway.
I'd vote for adding uinput to future official kernels.

As for doing it in the maemo way it seems to be a problem when the
keyboard does not advertise its connection over SDP (my case with iPAQ
foldable). I think such device is not discoverable via maemo API.

  It's also annoying to have to ssh in and set up kbdd and
> relevant shell scripts whenver I reflash the device.

Well you still need root access to insert the module and currently also
to execute kbdd so the installation won't be easy anyway. And people who
have root enabled already have xterm and have no problems with
extracting one tgz archive (from mmc card).

Frantisek