[maemo-users] Quick review of the Nokia 770

> > > keyboarding mode**
> > >
> > > Having strange second uses for well-defined hardware keys doesn't sound
> > > like a good idea. What about putting the dot on the same mode (side) as
> > > the numbers instead ;)
> >
> > well, not as default of course. but it would be so easy and
> > convenient! the shift key is far left, wich is very difficult for my
> > right hand.
>
> Yes, but what about putting the dot on the same page on the virtual
> keyboard?

It's not only about the dot. It's for each time you want to write an
uper case letter (a name or whatever). :-)

> > > You (actually your PC) _has_ access to the MMC card, I thought that was
> > > the whole point (apart from for flashing)
> >
> > but why is concurrent access not possible?
>
> Well, two drivers accessing the same hardware at the same time is just
> calling for trouble, I'd guess...
> heh, David D Hagood completely explains it in his follow-up mail, I
> see :)

Thanks everybody for explanations. It also explains why you can't
access the system flash.

> > I put newer mail above (anti-chronological order). but when I start
> > the mail reader, he reads all mail once and display them in
> > chronological order before redisplaying them as I want. quite a waste
> > of ressources...
>
> I see... so you mean it first displays and formats everything
> order and does that _again_, taking time x :) baad...

indeed.  That's what I was trying to explain.

> > > my ideas in speex or ogg format. It would be damned cool as the 770
> > > already has a microphone.
> > >
> > > Really? might be something I'd like to try hack on... any details? can a
> > > normal OSS dsp be used to read from it? :)
> > >
> > > I remember a talk on maemo-developers that involved an external mike
> > > faintly, but nothing much about the internal one ...
> >
> > Tommi showed it to me at FOSDEM. it's the little hole next your power
> > socket. I don't know nothing much than that ;-)
>
> Good to know :)

> > > applications are not in the $PATH. that's really annoying.
> > >
> > > Tommi Komulainen hinted at FOSDEM 2006 that /var/lib/install will be
> > > gotten rid of soon :) there is hope...
> >
> > We were in the same room then :-)  but I hadn't a 770 at this time so
> > I didn't understand all.
>
> hehe, I was the guy with the (doodled) Xfce Developer name tag ;)
> Must... plan... ahead .... next time (not like, "oops! the plane is
> leaving to FOSDEM *runs away from work*" ;))

I was the guy with the red sweater ;-)
http://ploum.frimouvy.org/?gallery/life-of-ploum/fosdem-2006/fosdem2006_day2_0008#gallery

Thanks everybody for answers and comments,

Lionel